40 malnourished children will be able to receive full treatment with the above funds.
If anyone feels like they missed an opportunity to donate, please go to
Pi Day and Haiti
HAITI IN PERSPECTIVE
- 7 million Haitians, two-thirds of the total population, live on less than $2/day!
- 70% of the population lack access to basic health-care services.
- It is estimated that about 19,000 children in Haiti have AIDS.
- 100,000 children suffer from acute malnutrition.
- One-third of all Haitian children are stunted or irreversibly short for their age—a sign of long-term malnutrition.
- One-third of Haitian women and children are anemic.
- Malnutrition is the main cause of death in children under the age of five.
- Haiti has the highest rates of infant, under-five, and maternal mortality in the Western hemisphere. Malnutrition, diarrhea, respiratory infections, malaria, tuberculosis, and HIV/AIDS are the leading causes of death. These statistics are horrific! What can be done? CHILD’s Palto Project can make a difference. Even if it is a small difference, it is a difference. It is a difference to each and every child whose life is saved. It is people’s indifference which will not allow CHILD to make a difference. (Read more about this exciting project on the other side.)
We have all seen photos of severely malnourished children in poverty stricken areas of the world. Many of these children face death, and many do die. We have all wondered, “How can I make a difference to really help these suffering children?” “How can I know that my money will actually be used to help these children and not have the majority be spent on administrative costs?” Well, CHILD’s support of the Palto Project in Haiti may be just the answer that you have been looking for!
The aim of the program is to provide Medika Mumba bars (high energy, high protein bars) to children from infants to 14-year-olds who are severely malnourished, many near death. After 6 weeks of being on the nutrient rich bars, the children are then transferred to Manna rice packs, which is rice that is fortified with a large number of vitamins, minerals, and proteins.
CHILD is actively supporting the Palto Project by buying hundreds of Manna rice packs and Medika Mumba bars.
ALL of the money raised for the Palto Project goes directly to the project. NO overhead. NO strings attached.
So, if you have ever wondered how you could really do something to give life to those starving children you have seen photos of on TV and in magazines, look no further, you have found the answer. Support by donating generously to CHILD’s Palto Program- your donation will make a difference—a BIG difference!
Now is the time to make that difference you have always wanted to make!
$95 CAD buys one box of Medika Mumba bars. It takes about one box to treat one severely malnourished child. $13 CAD buys one box of Manna rice packs that required for each child each month, i.e. the dollar equivalent of 1.5 Big Mac combo meals feeds a malnourished child for a MONTH! $2,000 CAD buys for manna rice packs for the 150 children on the program.
To put it in perspective: For the cost of buying a Starbucks latte every morning for a year, instead one could buy several hundred boxes of Medika Mumba bars and save hundreds of children from near certain death.
What a difference one cup of coffee can make over a year! What a difference you can make!
To read more about CHILD and the Palto Project, go to